Free Settler or Felon
Convict and Colonial History

Convict Ship Heroine - 1833

Embarked: 260 men
Voyage: 128 days
Deaths: 4
Surgeon's Journal: Yes
Previous vessel: Captain Cook arrived 25 August 1833
Next vessel: Buffalo arrived 5 October 1833
Captain Robert McCarthy
Surgeon George Roberts

The prisoners embarked on the Heroine had been held in the prison hulks moored in the river. Some of those in the Justitia hulk were transferred to the Heroine on the 23 April 1833. The total number of convicts embarked were two hundred and sixty from Woolwich, Chatham and Sheerness between the 22nd of April and 1st May 1833.

Military Guard

The Guard consisted of 29 rank and file of the 21st Fusiliers under orders of Capt. Mackay. Mrs. Mackay and Lieutenant Reynolds of the 2nd or Queen's Royals came passengers.


The Heroine departed Portsmouth on 15th May 1833.

Surgeon George Roberts

George Roberts kept a Medical Journal from 6th April to 7 October 1833 -

At first their appearance was unfavourable although their health in general was tolerable, and after being on board a short time they were much improved. Four deaths occurred during the voyage to Sydney, two from Phthisis, one from Hydrothorax and a fourth from scorbutus, the latter disease was very prevalent on board towards the end of the voyage. Those advanced in years and others who had been subject to irregularities in life, suffered in a greater degree, in all the cases the vitric of vinegar was exhibited to the fullest extent which appeared to check the disease in some but in others it had no apparent effect. Frequent ablution with warm water and soap relieved the pain of the limbs.

Six cases of small pox appeared on board during the voyage, the first occurred immediately after quitting the channel and the other cases at intervals of ten or twelve days, the whole of the cases ran their course very regular, without any very unfavourable symptoms appearing. Great care was taken immediately the disease appearing to separate the affected person from the rest of the prisoners, and confine him closely to the Hospital. On the patient being free from disease and previous to quitting the Hospital, his person with his wearing apparel and bedding were thoroughly washed, and afterwards freely fumigated with the chloride of lime and hot vinegar, four cases out of the six were ascertained to have been vaccinated.

Port Jackson

The Heroine arrived in Port Jackson on 19th September 1833, a voyage of 128 days. The vessel was quarantined on arrival because of the small pox, however as there had been no cases for two months past and the clothes of the infected were burnt, the vessel was released. They came into the Cove on Friday 20 September 1833.

Convict Muster

The prisoners were mustered on Wednesday 25th September and were to be landed early in the following week.


By October it was reported that 227 of the prisoners were assigned to private service; 7 were in Hospital; 10 were unfit for assignment; and 12 were sent to Carter's Barracks.

Notes and Links

1). George Roberts was employed as Surgeon Superintendent on four convict ship voyages to Australia:
Lord Melville to NSW in 1830
Gilmore to VDL in 1832
Heroine to NSW in 1833
Waterloo to VDL in 1835
Waterloo to NSW in 1836

2). Bushranger Joseph Pyzer arrived on the Heroine

3). Prisoners and passengers of the Heroine identified in the Hunter Valley

4). Convict ships bringing detachments of the 21st regiment (Royal Scotch Fusiliers) and Officer in command of the Guard....

Mary departed London 4 September 1832 - Captain Daniels 21st regt.,

Roslin Castle departed Cork 8 October 1832 - Lieuts. Bayley and Pieter L. Campbell. 21st

Andromeda departed Portsmouth 17 November 1832 - Lieuts. Lonsdale and Armstrong 21st regt.,

Mangles departed London 14 December 1832 London

Asia departed the Downs 21 February 1833 - Lieuts. Kelly and Wilson of 6th regt.,

Lord Lyndoch departed Sheerness June 1833 - Lieut-Col. Leahy. Headquarters of 21st

Royal Admiral departed Dublin 4 June 1833 - Lieut. Ainslie 21st regt.,

Aurora departed Portsmouth 4 July 1833 Major Delisle 4th regt.,

Java departed Cork 24 July 1833- Lieut. Wrixon, 21st regt.,

Neva departed Plymouth 29 July 1833 - Lieut. McEdwin 1st or Queens Own regt.,

Lloyds departed the Downs 25 August 1833 - Lieut. McKnight 21st regt.,

Fairlie departed England 27 October 1833

Bengal Merchant departed 28 March 1838 - Lieut. Dear of 21st regt.,