Charles Douglas Haylock was the son of John Haylock of West Wratting, Cambridgeshire. It was probably he and his wife who arrived in Sydney from London via Hobart on the Wave in April 1832. He purchased a town allotment in Paterson in February 1837 and was granted a publican's licence for the Paterson Arms Inn in Sussex street Sydney in July 1837.
He was perhaps a builder by trade as many years later he was the contractor for building a bridge across Tocal Creek on the road leading from Paterson to Maitland. His plans had been on show at his Inn for two years prior to the completion of the bridge. Maitland Mercury 1 August 1849.
In May 1840 he was granted the licence for an Inn in the township of Paterson under the sign of Wratting Hall. He may have built this Inn but there is no information as to location.
A publican's licence was granted to Robert Murray for Wratting Hall in June 1841
In 1842 John Rawlins Burgis was granted a publican's licence for the Wellington Inn. 
Charles Haylock was the proprietor of the Wellington between the years 1843 and 1848 and then 1853 and 1854.
He advertised his intention to close the Inn because of ill health on several occasion in the 1840's. In 1846 he put the Wellington Inn up for sale:
The Wellington was situated in the centre of the township of Paterson and commanded the most respectable business in the district. Mr. Haylock invited those desirous of purchasing the Inn to visit the premises as he was confident that personal inspection would be the best recommendation. Immediate possession would be given and the furniture and fixtures could be taken at a valuation. He was also offering to sell a cottage with garden and outbuilding situated on the banks of the Hunter river at Raymond Terrace. 
The Inn must not have been sold at this time as in September 1849 Edward Haylock (relative?) 'late of the Wellington Inn' thanked patrons for their support over the previous 12 months he had been at the Wellington and announced that he had taken over the Farmers Glory at Hinton.
Charles Haylock died at Exeter Cottage Waverley in March 1876. His wife Ann Brewer Haylock died in April 1876