The Hinton Punt
William Burgess purchased the Farmers' Glory in 1846 and he advertised the opening of his new Inn on the premises 'previously occupied by Mr. Samuel Davison'.
The Inn was on the Durham side of the new punt. A wharf was erected for the shipment of produce by steamers and other craft and Mr. Burgess noted that families and passengers going to and returning from Sydney would find the 'Farmer's Glory' a most convenient lodging. Every accommodation suitable for the comforts and wants of the public would be provided. The premises were Burgess's own freehold property and he intended to make further improvements as well as continue the monthly sales which for some time had been held at the Yards of the premises. Mr. Dodds, Auctioneer from Maitland was to conduct the sales
To celebrate the opening of the new Inn, Mr. Burgess provided a choice selection of spirits and engaged Mr. Cornish to play his violin. Mr. Cornish, apparently affected by alcohol, ran into trouble when he abandoned his violin in favour of 'a number of tricks fancifully termed Bonnetting'. This consisted of 'giving a smart rap on the capital covering, thereby sending it down over the eyes of the wearer, when several playful digs in the ribs are usually administered'. One of the professor's victims, was Mr. James Holdstock
publican of West Maitland, who when bonnetted administered 'a sharp kick to that part of the professor which is not the seat of reason'. The affair came before the police court when Mr. Cornish charged Holdstock with assault however the case was dismissed from Court.
Cattle sales took place at Mr. Burgess' Inn as well as at Mrs. James' Hinton Hotel.
In January 1848 William Burgess announced that he had sold the Farmers Glory to Thomas Magner
. He thanked the inhabitants of Hinton, Upper Paterson and Dungog for the liberal support he had received.
After this, William Burgess was granted a publican's licence for the Redfern Inn on the corner of Market and York Streets, Sydney.
Thomas Magner intended to use every exertion in his power to promote the comforts of patrons to his hotel. He offered clean beds and the best of stabling for horses In July 1849 Magner was selling a number of articles by auction at his Inn including furniture, saws steelyards carts kitchen utensils and goats.
In September 1849 Edward Haylock who had been proprietor at the Wellington Inn
at Paterson for twelve months announced that he was taking over the Farmer's Glory lately occupied by Mr. Magner. As well as a choice stock of wines and spirits he also offered to store, free of charge, grain for settlers and to make advances upon it until they received their returns from Sydney.
In 1850 the licence was transferred from Edward Haylock to William Burgess.
Richard Maher was the licence in December 1854.
William Pacey was granted the licence in 1856
James Patterson was granted the licence in 1860.
The premises of the Farmers' Glory were offered for sale in November 1860....
The Farmers' Glory Inn at Hinton Punt - Dodds and Co have received instructions from the Mortgagees to sell by auction on the premises at the Farmers' Glory Inn, at the Hinton Punt:
All that capital property known as the Farmers' Glory Inn at the Punt at Hinton together with the premises thereto belonging consisting of three acres of land near the junction of the Paterson and Hunter Rivers at Hinton. The inn and premises were still in the occupation of James Patterson. - Maitland Mercury 3 November 1860