John Herring Boughton
was the second son of George Boughton, esq., of Reed House, Hatherleigh, Devon, and grandson of the Rev. George Boughton, Rector of that parish.
The Chorographical Description Or Survey of the County of Devon
In 1809 he commenced employment as an articled clerk working for George Boughton Kingdon whose practice as an Attorney and Solicitor of His Majesty's Court of King's Bench was at Westminster. The agreement was for five years.
John Boughton arrived in Australia on the Fame in September 1822. Also on board were his future wife Charlotte Maria Westbrook and James Cann, also from Devon, who was to be employed as Boughton's overseer.
John Herring Boughton and Charlotte Westbrook were married in Sydney on 21st October 1822
John Boughton came with recommendations from Lord Bathurst. He was granted 2000 acres of land which he selected at Paterson. Six convicts were initially assigned to him to work his estate. He was supplied from the Government stores at Newcastle for six months and was issued cows from the government herd.
His estate was named Tillimby. It was located just north of of where Paterson stands today and adjoined Susannah Matilda Ward's property Cintra
. In 1823 he also received an allotment of land in Newcastle.
Among the first convicts who worked on the Tillimby estate were:
per John Barry;
per Ocean 1818;
per General Hewitt,
per General Stewart
per Earl St. Vincent.
In 1825 several of John Boughton's assigned servants absconded to the bush. Bushrangers known as Jacob's Irish Brigade
were active in the district and it was thought that the absconders had joined the gang. The men were identified as Henry Sears
and Isaac Deane
who both arrived on the Asia in 1825, Bernard Padden
per Hooghley and John Chapman
per Mangles, mostly they were a bad lot who would be in trouble over and over again in the coming years. John Boughton bravely joined in the pursuit party
as the Australian reported on 4th August 1825:
The bushrangers were traced by a party of natives, to a brush above Mr. Cory senior's farm at Paterson's Plains; and a party of soldiers stationed there, accompanied by three constables immediately went in pursuit of them. Messrs. Frankland, Boughton and Edward Cory are also with the soldiers; and it is to be hoped their efforts will be attended with success
Within a couple of years
John and Charlotte Boughton returned to England.
In 1831 Tillimby was being managed by William Locksdale
John and Charlotte Boughton with their nephew returned to Australia on the Sir William Wallace in 1832 after several years absence in England.
In 1833 he was granted almost 150 acres of land at Lake Macquarie later known as Bolton Point. A further 450 acres was purchased at Lake Macquarie near Swansea in 1834 where he established a saltworks and where some of his assigned servants were employed. Although he travelled to Lake Macquarie each fortnight, the area became an outpost for cattle thieves and absconders and after a complaint from the authorities, Boughton closed the saltworks. As a member of the Stock Protection Society at the Hunter he was very keen to stamp out cattle stealing.
Boughton's overseer, James Cann who had accompanied him on the Fame, was granted 60 acres of land in 1824 although he remained employed as overseer at Tillimby until at least 1828. Cann married Mary Chapman, widow of William Chapman in 1829. Mary had been employed by the Boughtons as a house servant. James Cann died in 1834.
Later Dr. Isaac Scott Nind
ex surgeon of the 57th Regiment occupied a small area of the Tillimby estate. Here he had his residence and a small hospital he kept for the convenience of the settlers to send their Government men to when sick.
Charlotte Boughton died in 1850
John H. Boughton drowned in an accident on Lake Macquarie in 1854. The land was purchased by Abraham Nivison
 UK, Articles of Clerkship, 1756-1874 (Ancestry)