was born in 1803, the son of Isaac and Sarah Lumley. He arrived in the colony about 1833 in charge of some valuable stock, which he safely brought out from England for Helenus and Robert Scott
of Glendon, amongst the stock was the noted blood stallion Toss and some purebred bulls and cows.
After leaving Mr. Scott's service John Lumley embarked in farming pursuits in the Singleton district and then became an Innkeeper at Singleton. 
He married Catherine, the daughter of Waterloo veteran William Cooke at Glendon in 1835.
Horse and Jockey Inn
In 1839 he was proprietor of the Horse and Jockey Inn.
In 1842 he moved to new premises in George Street contiguous to the new court house still under the sign of the Horse and Jockey:
In returning thanks to his numerous friends and the public, for the very liberal support he has received from them for the last three years, John Lumley begs to inform them that on the 1st July next he will remove to his new and commodious premises in George Street, being the principal thoroughfare through the town.
The new Inn included Assembly Rooms in which John Lumley held public Balls on special occasions such as the Anniversary of the Colony. Tickets were 5/- each and excellent music was promised.
In 1846 there was a total of eight public houses in Singleton. Five of them were situated in George Street, two in John Street, and one in Macquarie Street.
John Lumley was held up by bushrangers John Rideout and John McIntyre
two miles from Black Creek in 1846. He was robbed of his gold watch and all his money and had feared for his life as one of them held a gun to him. 
The Rose Inn
In July 1848 he announced he was re-naming the Horse and Jockey Inn as the Rose Inn - John Lumley in announcing the change in the sign of his establishment avails himself of the occasion to return his sincere thanks to his friends and patrons for the very liberal support they have awarded him during the nine years he has been in business; and has much pleasure in informing them and the public generally that he has lately made very extensive additions and improvements to his premises, which renders it the most complete establishment in the district; combining the comfort and privacy so desirable to respectable families in travelling, with all the convenience requisite in an inn. Secure stockyards gratis for the convenience of parties travelling with stock. Also good stabling and an honest ostler. The new additions included a room which was described as being the biggest and loftiest in the town being 43ft by 19ft. 
Death of Catherine Lumley
John Lumley's wife Catherine (daughter of William Cooke of 40th regt.) died on New Years Day 1850 aged 29 - her benevolence of heart and kindness of disposition throughout life gained her the respect and esteem of all who knew her. She has left an aged father, an affectionate husband and six young children to mourn their loss.
John Lumley re-married in 1852 to Sarah Nowland, second daughter of Henry Nowland
He held the licence for the Rose Inn until at least 1855. He also had a contract to run a three horse mail-coach between Singleton, Muswellbrook and Scone.
Chain of Ponds
In 1860 he was granted a publican's licence for the Star of the North at the Chain of Ponds, Muswellbrook district.
John Lumley died in Sydney in July 1891 aged 82 years. Sarah Lumley (nee Nowland) died in November 1924 at the age of 98 years.
 Singleton Pioneer Register, Family History Society, Singleton 1989
 The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser 28 Jul 1891
 Hawkesbury Courier and Agricultural and General Advertiser 1 Oct 1846
 Singleton Argus 24 May 1943
 State Archives NSW; Series: 14403; Item: [7/1513]; Reel: 1242 License Year: 1860 Ancestry.com. New South Wales, Australia, Certificates for Publicans' Licences