George Muir arrived on the Jupiter in 1823 accompanied by his wife Elizabeth nee Cantwell and four young daughters - Elizabeth 13, Mary Ann 16, Francis 9 and Pricilla 7. Another two children were born in the colony - James Richard and Rebecca.
While in Newcastle George Muir rented 300 acres of land belonging to John Laurio Platt a few miles out of town. He, or perhaps his wife, also ran a store during this time.
He held the license for the Union Inn at East Maitland in the years 1829 - 32. This Inn was owned by Alexander McLeod and later sold to Henry and William Dumaresq. Elizabeth Muir ran the Inn until 1830 when George Muir resigned from the position of chief constable at Newcastle.
George Muir was granted 640 acres in July 1831 which can be seen in the lower right of the map below.
He was appointed postmaster at Maitland in 1833 however passed away on Christmas Day 1833 after a severe illness. Elizabeth was left with six children to raise.
Elizabeth Muir took out the license for the Family Hotel in East Maitland in 1834.
The last year she held the license for the Family Hotel was 1846 when it was transferred to Henry Eckford who changed the name to the Woolteam Inn.