Free Settler or Felon
Convict and Colonial History

Convict Ship Ann II - 1810

Embarked 200 men (two re-landed)
Deaths 1
Surgeon's Journal - No
Previous vessel: Indispensable arrived 18 August 1809
Next vessel: Canada arrived 8 September 1810
Captain Charles Clarke
Prisoners and passengers of the Anne identified in the Hunter Valley

Prisoners of the convict ship Anne were convicted in counties in England, Scotland and Wales - Durham, Surrey, Middlesex, London, York, Norfolk, Warwick, Wiltshire, Essex, Surrey, Kent, Sussex, Southampton, Lancaster, Stafford, Nottingham, Dorset, Chester, Huntingdon, Somerset, Cornwell, Derby, Hertford, Leicester, Gloucester, Oxford, Cambridge, Devon, Salop, Isle of Ely, Monmouth and Inverness. There were also soldiers who had been court-martialled at Chatham, Montreal, Malta.

They were held in prison hulks prior to transportation.

A Row of prison hulks in Portsmouth Harbour. Artist/Maker Garneray, Ambrose-Louis - National Maritime Museum
Row of prison hulks in Portsmouth Harbour. c. 1806 - 1814. Artist/Maker Garneray, Ambrose-Louis - National Maritime Museum

Some of those prisoners held on the Captivity hulk at Portsmouth including William Pope, Richard Spittle, John Starten, Francis Thompson, John Grover, William Hutchinson, James Watson, John Eastwood and Elijah Morris were sent on board the Anne on 16 August 1809. [3]

Military Guard

The Anne brought supplies and a detachment of the 73rd regiment. Passengers included Captain Archibald John Maclaine, Lieutenant John Purcell, Lieutenant Robert Drurie and Assistant Surgeon George Martin, the last three accompanied by their families.

Detachments of the 73rd arrived on the Dromedary, Indefatigable, Guildford, Hindostan, Indian, Archduke Charles, Ann, Fortune 1813, Providence 1811 and Admiral Gambier 1811


The Ship departed England on 25 August 1809. [1]

They called at Rio de Janeiro in November 1809.

One prisoner by the name of Pope was reported to have been lost overboard on the voyage out. [2] - This was probably William Pope age 30 who was tried at Taunton on 2 April 1809 and admitted to the Captivity Hulk from Ilchester prison on 11 May 1808 under sentence of 7 years transportation [3].

Port Jackson

They arrived in Port Jackson on the 26th February 1810 with 197 male prisoners.

It was reported that the prisoners were in a healthy state on arrival and expressed the highest satisfaction at their treatment on the passage out. They were ordered by Governor Macquarie to be mustered by John T. Campbell and William Broughton on 28th February 1810. [2]

Cabin Passengers

Rev. Samuel Marsden and wife and Rev. Robert Cartwright and family, missionary William Hall, John King and Duaterra a New Zealand native also came passengers.

Intended Settlement at New Zealand ........

William Hall who had been employed in ship building and navigation at Hull and John King who had learnt the arts of flax dressing twine spinning and rope making procured a passage to New Zealand by the way of Port Jackson on board the Ann transport which was taken up for government Service through the zeal and kindness of the Rev Samuel Marsden chaplain of the colony of New South Wales who was returning in the same vessel to Port Jackson.

Mr Marsden at the request of the committee furnished a paper of instructions abounding in his accustomed good sense and knowledge of mankind on which an address to them was grounded and sent by the secretary in the name of the society. The Ann sailed from Spithead August 25th 1809 and arrived in 56 days at Rio Janeiro.

It was a singular circumstance that a young native of New Zealand named Duaterra related to the principal chiefs of the island and himself heir to a considerable territory was returning home in the Ann. He had been treated with neglect and oppression by the captain with whom he came to this country and would probably have carried back with him to New Zealand feelings of resentment which might have raised serious obstacles to any attempt to civilize and evangelize his countrymen. This young chief says Mr Marsden is very much attached to John King a very strong friendship is formed between them and it is a most happy circumstance that he was on board the Ann for such a connection will be made between him and the settlers as may hereafter greatly promote the object of the settlement - The Missionary Magazine for 1810

Rev. Robert Cartwright. SL NSW Rev. Robert Cartwright - State Library NSW

Rev. Samuel Marsden
Rev. Samuel Marsden

The Sydney Gazette reported:

From the Rev. Mr. Marsden we have the satisfaction to learn that the Spanish sheep have been introduced into Great Britain in very great numbers, and that it has been ascertained that the wool does not degenerate in quality. His Majesty, in his benign wish to benefit this Colony, was graciously pleased to confer a Donation upon Rev. Mr. Marsden of 4 very fine Spanish Ewes, by which two males were lambed upon the passage, and all, we are gratified to state, have been landed in excellent condition, owing to the great attention they had always received. [4]

Prisoners Disembarked

On 2nd March 1810 Captain Clarke received orders to disembark the prisoners...Boats were sent alongside the Anne to receive the prisoners. They were to be landed at the Hospital Wharf at 6 o clock in the morning of 3rd March and handed over to the Principal Superintendent Isaac Nichols.

Isaac NicholsIsaac Nichols


Some of the stores that arrived on the Anne included Irish butter, Cheshire, Gloucester, Berkeley and pine cheese, hams, coffee, sugar, molasses, essence of spruce, rice, English soap, Castile soap, tallow, cotton wick, tanned hides, sole leather and boot legs, Brazil tobacco, Osnaburghs, shoes, woollens, corks, assortment of hardware including carpenters tools, saws and chisels, nails etc, bar iron, an assortment of glasses, including decanters, rummers, wine glasses, pipes of Madeira wine of a superior quality, porter in barrels, Jamaica rum, French brandy, Spanish brandy in 20 gallons casks, which were to be issued to such persons as His Excellency the Governor approved.

Convict Clothing

In March it was announced that the convicts who arrived by the Anne were to receive a suit of slop clothing which had been sent on the Anne for their use. Other government employed men in the colony including constables, overseers, convicts, boatmen and stockmen were to receive slop items such as a blue waistcoat with sleeves or a military jacket, a pair of duck trousers or a duck frock, a white or check shirt, a pair of shoes, blanket, forage cap, 1 pair of stockings, 2 pair of stocks and 1 Yara cap. These may have been similar to the items the prisoners of the Anne received.

Those prisoners of the Anne who had already been assigned to settlers in outlying areas were to have their slop clothing preserved for them until an opportunity arose for sending them on.

Prisoners of the Anne identified in the Hunter Valley region

Addison, Thomas
Convicted 28 October 1807. London Gaol Delivery. Thomas Addison was indicted for feloniously stealing on the 27th of December, eighty-six pair of boot legs, value 15 l. the property of Stephen Curtis and Hannah Thompson, widow. Prisoner's Defence. I never was accused of anything being missed while I was in his service; had it been missed while I was in his service he would have accused me of it; he never did. Guilty, aged 36. Sentenced to 7 years transportation. He was on a list of prisoners sent to Newcastle in July 1813. He was one of the Early Settlers allowed to occupy land (50 acres) at Patterson Plains. By 1823 he had cleared several acres of land and was producing maize for government stores. In 1824 convicts assigned to him included William Hudson (Shipley) Adam Boyle (ship Martha) and Samuel Whitney. He died in July 1828 at Newcastle age 52

Boonham, James
Born 1778. Alias Bownham. Tried 23 March 1807 at Warwick (Coventry) and sentenced to transportation for life for stealing. Sent to the Captivity hulk at Portsmouth to await transportation. Assigned to William Cox Esq., 1816 - 1821. In 1822 he held a Ticket of Leave and was employed as a carpenter at Windsor. He was permitted to pass with cattle from Windsor to the farm of Benjamin Singleton in 1823. He was granted an Absolute Pardon 24 June 1836

Cassidy, John
Sentenced to 7 years transportation at a court-martial in Montreal on 12 July 1808. Absconded from service of Messrs Blaxland with two others in July 1813. Sent to Newcastle penal settlement as punishment in October 1813. Returned to Sydney in August claiming his sentence had expired. Returned to Newcastle as a free man on 11 August 1815. Employed as a labourer in 1820

Cobb, James
Tried at Kingston, Surrey Quarter Sessions 22 March 1809, age 18. Capital Respite. Sentenced to transportation for life. Received on to the Retribution hulk on 10 April 1809 and transferred to the Anne for transportation to NSW on 31 July 1809. In July 1810 in Sydney he was committed for trial for stealing a watch belonging to Thomas Ford and notes from Timothy Warren. Having been found guilty in October, he was sentenced to 50 lashes and to be confined to hard labourer for 18 months. He absconded from the gaol gang in December 1810 and again in March 1811. When he absconded again in January 1814 he was described in the Public Notice as a bullock driver. In March 1814 he teamed up with two other desperate men Isaac Walker (ship Admiral Gambier 1808) and Angelo le Rose (Guildford 1812) to rob Samuel Larkens on the Parramatta road. Constables were remunerated 30 pounds for the capture of the three bushrangers. A sentence of death was commuted to transportation for life and James Cobb was sent to Newcastle in April 1814. Commandant at Newcastle, Lieutenant Thompson was instructed that Cobb being a dangerous and desperate ruffian, he was to be wrought in double irons and employed at hard labour. He absconded with Elizabeth Pierce (ship Minstrel 1812) on the night of 31st October 1814 was punished with 50 lashes in November. He absconded again in December 1814 and again with Isaac Walker in March 1816. He married Mary McCarty (ship Broxbornebury) in 1818 at Newcastle. Mary McCarty died at Newcastle in July 1822 age 38. James Cobb was punished with 25 lashes at Newcastle in October 1822 for endeavouring to purchase flour from the government mills. He petitioned for a ticket of leave in January 1823 stating that he had been at Newcastle for nine years, six years of which he had been overseer over the bullock drivers and entrusted with the management of all government cattle. A Notice from the Police Office dated 29 June 1824 warned all constables to use their utmost endeavours to apprehend Cobb after he was charged with stealing a black mare at Newcastle. He was described as 5ft 8 inches with sandy hair, fair complexion and light grey eyes. He absconded from Hyde Park Barracks for the second time in May 1828. He died in the General Hospital Sydney on 18 December 1836

Davis, John
Tried at Dorset Assizes 22 July 1807. Sentenced to transportation for life. Sent to Newcastle in November 1813 under sentence of 1 year transportation. In Hobart in 1823 he was described as a bushranger. With three other men, William Davis (his brother), Ralph Churton and Joseph Martin, he was found guilty of stealing 106 sheep, the goods of settler John Cassidy at the old beach. William Davis and Churton escaped when first in custody and were at large in the bush for 20 weeks when they were surprised by a military party, however William Davis was severely wounded by gun shot before he was taken. He was later executed. John Davis was sentenced to death which was respited to transportation for life. In April 1823 his name was on a list of prisoners under conviction by the Court of Criminal Jurisdiction in VDL or who appeared as witnesses and who on account of their dangerous knowledge of the Island or their mischievous connections were sent to Port Jackson. He was forwarded to Port Macquarie later that month.

Dean, Benjamin
Benjamin Dean was tried at Chester 19 August 1807. His sentence of death was respited to transportation for life and he was sent to the Retribution hulk 24 November 1807. Benjamin Dean was assigned to Phillip Roberts at Portland Head in March 1814. A notice cautioning against harbouring him was posted and when apprehended he was sent to Newcastle for two years on 24 May 1815. He was punished with 50 lashes for theft at Newcastle on 31 July 1815 and absconded from Newcastle in September 1815. In 1816 Benjamin Dean and Terence Kelly escaped from the brig Kangaroo on the voyage between Sydney and Newcastle. They were under a sentence of two years transportation and supposed to have been kept in irons which would have made their escape difficult. Their escape resulted in a reprimand of Lieut Jefferies of the Kangaroo by Governor Macquarie and the express order that prisoners were to be kept in irons until they were deliver to the Commandant at Newcastle. By June 1819 he was at Hobart. While a patient in the General Hospital there, he made an attempt on his life by cutting his throat but was prevented and expected to make a recovery

Evans, Lewis
Born in Huntingdon c. 1774. Sentenced to transportation for life at a court-martial at La Valetta, Malta on 12 April 1808 having been found guilty of desertion. Age 30 admitted to the Laurel hulk at Portsmouth 11 May 1809. In May 1810 while employed in the Commissary s Office, he absconded from service. He was still at large in November when he was described as a brickmaker about 5ft 10 inches, light complexion and about 35 years of age. He was sent to Newcastle in January 1811. He was at Newcastle in the 1817 convict list. In the 1825 muster he was in government employment at Barren Hills. He was at Newcastle in 1829 and was punished with 25 lashes for making false entries in Newcastle hospital books with a view to being discharged from the hospital where he was employed. He was granted a Ticket of Leave for Maitland on recommendation of the Port Stephens bench in 1832. In 1833 the Bolwarra Estate near Maitland was put up for sale. One of the Lots for sale was over 152 acres of excellent brush land, and had a frontage of nearly half a mile on the river; part of this lot was known known as Lewis Evans Camp , from the quantity of cedar collected near that spot by the individual whose name it bears; this is chiefly free from timber, and the land is of superior quality . In 1837 he was age 60 and resided at Maitland

Evans, William
Tried at Maidstone, Kent 8 August 1808. Sentenced to transportation for life. He was sent to Newcastle in July 1815. He absconded and was one of six runaways returned to Newcastle in December 1816. He was granted an Absolute Pardon in 1819

Fowler, George
Alias James Brownsey. Born in Sussex. Trade Stonemason. Tried at Hertford 1 August 1808. Sentenced to transportation for life. He was sent to Newcastle in November 1814. In 1818 when he petitioned for a Ticket of Leave. Rev. William Cowper described him as an industrious, orderly and sober man. He was at Newcastle under colonial sentence in 1821. He married Jane Rogers (ship Lord Sidmouth) at Liverpool in December 1824. He was granted a Conditional Pardon in 1825. He was granted a Ticket of Leave for the district of Parramatta in September 1830 which was altered to Inveraray

Gaynor, Edward
Born in Co. Cavan c. 1789. Tried at Kent 27 March 1809. Sentenced to transportation for life. In Sydney in April 1814 a death sentence for a colonial crime was commuted to transportation life. Lieutenant Thompson at Newcastle was instructed that Gaynor being a dangerous and desperate ruffian, be wrought in irons and employed at hard labour. He was employed as a Bush constable at Newcastle 1823 - 1825. In January 1825 Henry Gillman, the Commandant at Newcastle solicited indulgences from His Excellency the Governor for prisoners he considered worthy.... - Edward Gaynor - 'Bush constable. Came as a prisoner to the colony. Convicted at Sydney in April 1814 and transported for life to Newcastle. Has been almost from that period a constable in the service of government - A very good man and deserves a ticket of leave. Granted a Ticket of leave dated 28 April 1827 for Hunter River on recommendation of Wallis Plains Bench. Resided at Wallis Plains (Maitland) and employed as a labourer in 1828. Granted a Ticket of leave for the Hunter River district in September 1832 in lieu of the one dated April 1827 which was cancelled. Appointed constable at Maitland in August1834 and dismissed in November. Granted a ticket of leave passport in May 1836 to proceed to the station of Mr. Allman at the Upper Hunter for three months. Died at Newcastle hospital age 51 in 1839

Grainger, Benjamin
Alias Granger. Tried at Stafford 27 July 1807 age 22. Sentenced to transportation for life for horse stealing. Sent to the Captivity Hulk 12 September 1808 and transferred to the Anne on 16 August 1809. In December 1812 he was sent to Newcastle to assist in opening of new mines. In a petitioner he state that He was employed as overseer at the mine for the next ten years, nine of which had been as Overseer and Director of the Mines with a salary of twenty pounds per annum. On the construction of the breakwater intended to unite Knobby Island with the mainland at Newcastle Petitioner contrived a plan of procuring stone for said work that so astonished and pleased the late Governor Macquarie and the Commandant Captain Wallis 46regt., that his Conditional Pardon was granted on the Governors recent visit to the settlement with a promise of a recommendation to Your Excellency for other indulgences. Your Petitioner gave some very important information to the Commissioner of Enquiry concerning the internal situation of the mines there and at other parts of the coat where beds of stratum appeared and where he accompanied His Honour to Reids Mistake, Port Stevens. etc., During Petitioners durance at Newcastle he by his industry continued to get a little stock of cattle, three or four head now grazing on a farm at Hunter River namely Joseph Hunt s farm. Petitioner solicits for a grant of a vacant spot of ground at the settlement at Newcastle to build a house on for him and his family, being a married man, to reside. He resigned because of ill health in 1822. In 1824 he resided with his wife and was employed as a labourer by Mary Hunt probably at Wallis Plains. When he died age 43 in Newcastle in October 1827 his occupation recorded in the Christ Church Cathedral Burial register was victualler

Grover, John
Alias George. Tried at Oxford 29 April 1808. Age 21. Sentenced to transportation for life for burglary. Sent to the Captivity Hulk on 8 June 1808. Transferred to the Ann 16 August 1808. In 1814 he was one of four men rewarded by Government for service in making discoveries to the Westward of the Blue Mountains. In February 1814 when he was granted an absolute pardon he was described as 5ft 11in, fair ruddy complexion and very good looking, his occupation upholsterer. In 1817 - 1821 he was assigned servant to Nicholas Bayly Esq., He was sent to Newcastle penal settlement in September 1821 having been tried in the Criminal Court and found guilty of stealing money from the person of David Hosely at Box Hill. He absconded from Newcastle settlement, was captured and returned on 21 February 1822. He was charged with robbery and taking to the bush and punished in March with 75 lashes. He was sent to Port Macquarie in February 1823. He received a Ticket of Leave at Norfolk Island in September 1831. Note on Ticket of Leave - Ticket later cancelled by the Penrith Bench for repeated acts of misconduct (while at Norfolk Is.) and particularly in supplying spirits to prisoners in his charge and allowing women. Sentenced to solitary confinement and to remain in his own apartments, dated 5 October 1832. He was sent to Sydney Gaol from Hyde Park Barracks on 26 January 1833, to be forwarded to the Bench at Penrith. Ticket of Leave cancelled in March 1833 for his previous repeated acts of misconduct. He was admitted to Parramatta Gaol and discharged 26 May 1834 when he was sent to Windsor. He was 48 years of age in 1836 and assigned to Michael Hyane at Illawarra. He was admitted to Sydney Gaol on 13 September 1837, to be sent for trial. Discharged 4 May 1838. In October 1840 he was sent to Cockatoo Island, under sentence of 2 years 9 months. From Cockatoo Island he was sent to Norfolk Island where it was recorded on 19 December 1840 that he was tried at Sydney Quarter Sessions 8 October 1840 and sentenced to 10 years transportation for horse stealing. Notes on admission to Norfolk Island - was once Chief constable of the Island, afterwards gaoler at Penrith. Elderly and steady. Strict as Policeman - been 36 years a prisoner and has friends in the colony. He was granted a Ticket of Leave for the district of Windsor on 12 April 1847. He was admitted to Berrima gaol on 12 October 1847 and forwarded from there to Goulburn. He was granted a ticket of leave passport for the district of Goulburn in October 1848 and allowed to remain at Maneroo for 12 months in the service of James Marsden. He was an invalid at the Parramatta establishment when died age 64 on 7 July 1852

Higgins, Edmund
Alias Edward. Born in Whitney, Oxfordshire. Tried at Oxford 8 March 1809. Sentenced to transportation for life for burglary. Age 30. Sent to the Laurel Hulk 28 April 1809 and transferred to the Anne on 16 August 1809. He was granted an Absolute Pardon in 1815. With William Nash and Jeremiah Buffey he was charged with stealing eight pigs belonging to Mrs. Benn of Hawkesbury in November 1816. Nash was found guilty and Buffey and Higgins not guilty. He was Tried and found guilty of highway robbery in February 1818 and received sentence of death. On 26 February 1818 the sentence was commuted to hard labour for life. He was sent to Newcastle penal settlement on 13 March 1818 where in January 1819 he was punished with 75 lashes for running from the jail. He was employed as a constable at the 1st branch of the Hunter River where he resided with his wife Margaret Higgins in 1824. He was assigned to Thomas Street in King St. Sydney in April 1824 and to Robert Crawford of Sydney in November 1824 and in 1825 to Thomas Street

Kennedy, William Henry
Born in Wicklow. Tried at Kent Assizes 14 March 1808 age 26. Occupation clerk. Sentenced to transportation for life. Received on to the Prudentia hulk at Woolwich on 6 May 1808. Sent to Newcastle having been convicted of robbery of Lieut-Governor O Connell s house in Sydney on 4 April 1810. Considered by Commandant Lieut. Purcell to be a most infamous and undeserving character. He was assigned to government service at Newcastle in 1816. On September 15 1817 he was given permission to proceed to Sydney in the hope that the Governor may take him into favourable consideration for an indulgence. Ge was granted an Absolute pardon on 26 March 1818. He requested leave to proceed to the Derwent in March 1818. In an 1820 convict muster he is listed as emancipated and employed as a clerk in the colony of NSW.

Martin, Samuel
Born in Bristol c. 1781. Occupation butcher. Tried at Gloucester Assizes 16 March 1808. Sentenced to transportation for life. In October 1817 he was sentenced to death at the Sydney Criminal Court for stealing four sheep, the property of G. Cribb a butcher of Cambridge Street The Rocks. Samuel Martin was his journeyman however had recently commenced trade on his own account near the public landing wharf. The sentence of death was commuted to transportation for life and he was transported to Newcastle. While at Newcastle in 1823, he petitioned for an indulgence stating that since the unfortunate circumstances occurring for which he was banished to Newcastle for life, that he had conducted himself with integrity, propriety and good conduct. No indulgence was granted and he was transferred from Newcastle to the new penal settlement at Port Macquarie in September 1823. He was granted a Ticket of Leave dated 15 November 1832 for Port Macquarie. He was 59 years of age when he was granted a Conditional Pardon in 1840

Maxwell, John
Born in Battersea c. 1784. Occupation tailor. Tried at Huntingdon Assizes 12 March 1808 age 25. Sentenced to transportation for life. Received on to the Prudentia hulk at Woolwich on 26 April 1808. Sent to Newcastle penal settlement for twelve months in February 1813. Having absconded from the settlement, his name was included in a Public Notice with several other desperate bushrangers of the day in January 1813. When captured he was punished with 50 lashes for absenting himself from Government labour from 26 December 1812 to 16 February 1813. He was assigned to Richard Rowe at Lane Cove in October 1817. John Maxwell and James Hesketts were found guilty of burglarious entry into the house of Paul Page a settler at Lane Cove on 20 May 1817. They were sentenced to death in the Criminal Court in November 1817. His sentence was later commuted to transportation for life. He was one of several servants assigned to William Evans at Bellevue in 1824, the others being Fergus Cunningham (ship Lord Sidmouth), Edward Kerr (ship Minerva), Joshua Peck (born Norfolk Island), Samuel Richards, (ship earl st. Vincent) George Davis (ship Neptune) and James Wright (ship Coromandel). He was granted a Ticket of Leave dated 13 June 1836 for the district of Paterson and a Conditional Pardon in 1843

Nogan, Michael
Tried at Essex Assizes on 13 March 1809. Sentenced to transportation for life. He was on a list of prisoners to be sent to Newcastle in 1814. In 1821 when he absconded from service, a description was posted - Michael Nogan, blacksmith, 5ft 9 1/2 in high, sallow complexion, a cast in his eye, sandy hair and beard; had on when he left Sydney, a brown colonial jacket and trowsers, supposed to be in the neighbourhood of Parramatta.

Rouse, George
Alias Edward. Tried at the Old Bailey on 13 July 1808 age 17.....Edward Rouse alias George Rouse, was indicted for burglariously breaking and entering the dwelling house of Richard Skillman, about the hour of twelve at night, on the 23d of June, and burglariously stealing therein, seventeen pieces of Irish linen, value 50 l. his property. He was found guilty of stealing in a dwelling house to the value of forty shillings and upwards and sentenced to death which was commuted to transportation for life. He was admitted to the Retribution hulk on 17 October 1808. He was sent to Newcastle under sentence of one year in 1814. In December 1817 he petitioned for emancipation stating that from his arrival in the colony he was employed in the government boats' crew and in 1817 was an assigned servant to Mr. Robert Murray, Pilot at Sydney. During his time in the colony he had never had the slightest crime or neglect of duty laid against him. He received his emancipation and in 1820 was employed as a labourer. He was tried in August 1820 with William Rouse for burglariously breaking and entering the quarters of Lieut. Hector Macquarie and stealing wearing apparel and other articles. They were found guilty and condemned to death; John Richards and Thomas Carpenter were convicted of receiving the property and sentenced to 14 years to Newcastle. William Rouse was recommended to mercy by the Court and his sentence was commuted to transportation to Newcastle for life where he later became Chief Constable in the town and also a well known Inn-keeper. George Rouse was executed on 25 August 1820

Ryan, Joseph
A man of colour; sent to Newcastle as a prisoner in January 1814 under sentence of 5 years transportation and sent again in January 1816. No Joseph Ryan in the convict indents- may have been crew on the Anne

Shutt, Walter
Tried at the Old Bailey 16 September 1807 for feloniously stealing on the 21st of August, two cotton curtains, value 42 s. the property of the Rev. Charles Thomas Heathcote. Robert Bailey - I am gardener to the Rev. Dr. Heathcote, at Lower Clapton. On the 21st of August, about three o'clock in the afternoon, I heard an alarm that the prisoner had stolen some bed-furniture out of the drying-ground. I went into the fields. I saw the prisoner running across the fields, with a bundle under his arm. He got out of the fields into a lane. He was not half a minute out of my sight. Q. Are you sure he is the same man. - A. I am positive. Q. What did he do with the bundle. - A. He threw it over that field, and then he ran back again into the field that he came out of, and ran about half a mile before I took him: then I gave him in charge of another man. I went over the field and picked up the bundle. Prisoner's defence. I had been down to Layton; coming up the lane I saw a person running down pretty sharp; the gentleman overtook me; he told me to stop, I stopped immediately; he said, what is become of the bundle you had under your arm, I said I met a person running, he throwed it under the hedge. Guilty, aged 40. Sentenced to transportation for Seven Years . He was admitted to the Retribution hulk On 4 March 1808. In the colony, he was one of eight men to be granted a beer licence at Parramatta in March 1811. In December 1812 he was working as a Clerk in the Government Store at Parramatta. He was found guilty of fraudulent practices in the receipt of animal food and in the issuing of rations from that Store, the consequence being that convicts and other poor people victualled by the Crown received an inferior sort of meat while the best had been set aside and distributed to the upper classes. He was dismissed from his position and punished with 100 lashes and sent to the Coal River (Newcastle) to work at hard labour. He was sent to the settlement in January 1813. He was on a list of applicants for a beer licence at Liverpool in February1819. He married Mary Crawford (ship Lord Wellington) at Liverpool in November 1821. In 1823 he had resided at Liverpool with his family for eight years and during that time had an unblemished character. He planned to enter the Public line of Business and built a large brick house for accommodation of travellers. He was sufficiently re-established to apply for a beer licence and victualling house. In October 1824 he petitioned for a grant of land stating that he had been over fifteen years in the colony and was sixty-two years of age with a wife and daughter (Barbara). He had worked in the Commissariat as Clerk in H.M. Magazines at Parramatta under Mr. Sherwin and at Liverpool under Store-keeper under D. A.C. General Cordeaux. As well as Clerk he was also poundkeeper at Liverpool in 1828 a position he held until 1841. Mary Crawford Shutt died in 1840 and Walter Shutt died in 1844

Sly, Joseph
Tried Gloucester Assizes 16 March 1808. Sentenced to transportation for life. He was 20 years of age when he was admitted to the Retribution hulk on 26 July 1808. He was sent to the Anne on 31 July 1809. In the colony, he was sent to Newcastle in April 1817. In 1820 he was assigned to Joseph Phillips. In 1826 he was found guilty of stealing a pig belonging to Mr. Groos at the Seven Hills and sentenced to 5 years transportation. He was sent to Moreton Bay on the Isabella on 20 May 1826 and was still there in 1828. Joseph Sly died at Invermein in December 1835

Thurston, Daniel
In March 1809 the Bury and Norwich Post reported.... At Ely Assizes John Lock Thurston, W. Lock Thurston and Daniel Lock Thurston pleaded guilty to the several indictments found against them for horse stealing and burglary and received sentences of death. On account of the extraordinary good character given to William, by a gentleman in whose service he had lived up to Michaelmas last, his sentence was respited before the Judge left the town, upon condition of his being transported for life. The two others were left for execution on Thursday next, but it is reported they all made their escape this day (Monday). Although John and Daniel Thurston were condemned to die, their sentence was respited to transportation for life and they were sent to the Prudentia Hulk in April 1809. Daniel Thurston was sent to Newcastle for three years in November 1812 having been found guilty of stealing a quantity of gunpowder belonging to the estate of Thomas Abbott. He absconded from Newcastle and when the Archduke Charles convict ship departed Sydney bound for China, Daniel was one of eight stowaways on board. They were apprehended on the vessel s arrival in China and were returned to Australia on the Frederick in April 1815. He was sent to Newcastle again in April 1817. He was appointed Clerk of Musters in 1821 on the death of George Smith and petitioned for a mitigation of sentence however this seems not to have happened and the Governor was informed in 1825 that Daniel Thurston had rendered himself unfit by intoxication for his duties as Principal Muster Clerk. Undaunted, he petitioned for a grant of land in 1825, stating that the reasons for his suspension had never been known to him and that by the suspension he had sustained a very serious financial injury and requested compensation in land for his heavy loss. Daniel Thurston resided in Parramatta in 1829.

Tobin, Edward
Edward Tobin and Edmund Hickey were tried at the Old Bailey on 18 February 1808 for stealing goods belonging to Lewis Berger, John Berger, Samuel Berger and Daniel Watson Berger, in their dwelling house. Tobin's Defence. My lord - on this morning, as I was out of employment, I went to look after employment, anywhere, where I could get work; I had lived with Mr. Berger three weeks; I went as far as Watling street, I met a porter, he told me I might get a porter's place in Barge yard; I talked to him a great time; I came into Bow lane, and had turned up to Bow church, when the alarm was given. I was stopped. The day before I called at the warehouse to speak to Hickey; Mr. Berger asked me what I wanted with him; I told him I wanted to speak with him; he said, you rascal, go about your business, or else I will kick your a - e. I had two hats in my hand at the time, and two or three coats. I knew that Hickey was at dinner at that time. Tobin called five witnesses, who gave him a good character. Hickey called four witnesses, who gave him a good character. Tobin, guilty, death, aged 30. Hickey, guilty, death, aged 22. In 1810 the Sydney Gazette reported that James Ratty, Peter Hogg and Edward Tobin escaped from the Lady Nelson at Camp Cove, Sydney while waiting to be conveyed to Hunter River settlement in June 1810. They were known as Notorious offenders. Hogg and Tobin surrendered themselves soon afterwards. His sentence had expired by 1815 and he was employed as a labourer

Walker, William
There were two prisoners by the name of William Walker on this ship. 1).Tried at the Old Bailey on 18 February 1808 age 21. Indicted for feloniously making an assault on the king s highway in a certain field in the parish of St. Mary, Islington, on the 12th of January, upon Thomas Oldfield , putting him in fear, and taking from his person and against his will, a sixpence and two halfpence, his property. Sentenced to death with recommendation for mercy because of his good character. He had been a private in the West London Militia for about three weeks. Sentence commuted to transportation to N. S.W. for 7 years. Transferred to the Ann on 31 July 1809. In 1817 and 1821 it was recorded that his sentence had expired in 1815 and that he had left the colony. However in 1828 a William Walker (ship Anne) age 42 resided at the farm of John Powell, Orange Grove at Pattersons Plains

Williams, Samuel
Occupation waterman. At the Old Bailey on 1 June 1808, Samuel Williams was Indicted for feloniously stealing on the 11th of May, two trunks, value 10 s. twenty five yards of Irish cloth, value 50 s. eleven petticoats, value 21 s. ten gowns, value 2 l. 10 s. two yards of cambric, value 5 s. ten pair of gloves, value 10 s. eight pair of stockings, value 12 s. two yards of dimity, value 5 s. a Morocco case, value 1 s. four yards of black lace, value 5 s. and a spencer, value 1 s. the property of Thomas Simpson, in a boat, on the navigable River Thames. Samuel Williams escaped from the colony and returned under a second sentence under the name of Benjamin Cordell on the Earl St. Vincent in 1820 having been tried on 3 December 1817 at Middlesex Gaol Delivery. It may have been him who was convicted of stealing a boat from her moorings in Cockle Bay in February 1826 and was sentenced to a penal settlement for 3 years. He was at Port Macquarie in 1828. In 1847 Samuel Williams was sent to Newcastle gaol from Maitland, to be sent for trial. He was tried for obtaining goods under false pretences from Emma Adams of East Maitland. He was found guilty and sentenced to be imprisoned and kept to hard labour for six months. It was noted that he was over eighty years of age.

Notes and Links

1).Among the prisoners on the Anne were Benjamin Grainger who worked for many years in the Newcastle coal mines and Daniel Thurston from Cambridge.

2). National Archives - Voyages: (1) From Bengal 1802. Capt James Stewart. Calcutta 19 Nov 1801 - 31 Jan 1802 Saugor - 20 Apr St Helena - 25 Jun Gravesend. (2) From Bengal 1810. Capt Charles Clarke. Calcutta 21 Sep 1810 - 24 Nov Saugor - 20 Feb 1811 St Helena - 26 Apr East India Dock.

3). Major Maclaine - The late Major A. John Maclaine of the 73rd Regiment, who died at Brussels of the wounds he received in the battle of Waterloo, was the son of Mrs. Maclaine of Scalasdale, Island of Mull; a Lady who deserves to be celebrated for the heroism and bravery of the sons she has given birth to. This venerable Lady has already lost two sons in the service of their country, and two yet survive, ornaments to their profession, covered with scars received in various engagements. The late Captain Maclaine, who so gloriously fell whilst gallantly leading on his light company at the battle of Maida, as mentioned in Sir John Stewart's dispatches was one of the former; and Lieut. Colonel Maclaine of the 7th West India Regiment who made so gallant a defence of Fort Matagorda in the Peninsula is one of the latter. Major Maclaine of the 73rd had signalized himself in all the actions in which this fine Highland Regiment were engaged in India, and particularly at the taking of Seringapatam. He had left the 1st Battalion of it at New South Wales to come to Europe, anxious and ardent to join the 2nd and to share their glories and honour as he expressed himself, on the Continent. His loss in common with other brace men, his country will deplore; but the loss of an affectionate son and brother, who contributed to their comfort and support is no common nor ordinary loss to an aged mother and three unmarried sisters. Yet the Old Lady, even amidst her tears and sorrow, seems to forget this, whilst she exults in the consolation, and tells her friends that her brace boy John did his duty; - a truth indeed, that all who knew his character in the army could anticipate and his companions in arms bear witness to....The Morning Post 15 August 1815.

4). Captain Robert Drurie of the 73rd regiment, commanded the military detachment stationed at Parramatta. He was appointed a justice of peace and magistrate in that district with an allowance of 5 shillings per day. Lieutenant Durie supervised the preparation of the Old Granary for the reception of female convicts of the Canada in August 1810. More about Captain Robert Durie at Parramatta Female Factory. Lieutenant Durie with his pregnant wife together with Lieutenant Richard Lundin of the 73rd and a detachment of Royal Marines received permission to embark on the Isabella for England in November 1812. Others on the Isabella included Sir Henry Browne Hayes, Captain Brooks and General Joseph Holt. They were shipwrecked in February 1813 and Mrs. Durie gave birth to a daughter in a hastily built bog hut assisted only by Mrs. Holt. There is an account of the wreck in the Memoirs of General Joseph Holt.

5). The Anne was one of three convict ships to arrive in New South Wales 1810 the others being the Canada and the Indian.


[1] Bateson, Charles Library of Australian History (1983). The convict ships, 1787-1868 (Australian ed). Library of Australian History, Sydney : pp.338-339, 381

[2] Sydney Gazette 3 March 1810

[3]. Prison Hulk Registers. Home Office: Convict Prison Hulks: Registers and Letter Books; Class: HO9; Piece: 8

[4] Sydney Gazette 3 March 1810