Joseph Brooks Weller - Settler
Birth: Kent 1802
Arrival: Aguilar in 1824
Land Grant: 1200 acres in 1824
Occupation: Land Proprietor; whaler
Joseph Brooks Weller and brothers George Weller and Edward Weller were members of a wealthy family from Kent.
Arrival in the ColonyJoseph arrived in Australia on the Aguilar in 1824 and was granted 1200 acres of land on 20 October 1824 by Sir Thomas Brisbane, the land being between East Maitland and Newcastle and adjoining John Platt's land at Iron Bark Creek.
Land AcquisitionThe Weller brothers used some of their capital to build a large sandstone brick house (The Oaks) - about 200 yards from the Wallis Creek Bridge.
The Wellers were also granted 1360 acres in 1828 at Falbrook not far from James Glennie's Dulwich and a farm belonging to William Powditch.
They purchased a Government Cottage (Cottage Creek) about 1 ½ miles from Newcastle in 1832. This was a former military post situated on the road leading to Maitland and was occupied by Rev. Threlkeld when he first came to Newcastle. The cottage became known for a while as Weller's cottage and later became the site of Dangar's meatworks and in 20th century, the Palais Royale.
WhalingThe family developed whaling interests in New Zealand in the 1830s. Edward and Joseph junior established a whaling station at Otago.
Joseph junior died from tuberculosis in New Zealand in 1834 and his body was shipped to Sydney for burial.
Edward continued to run the successful business until 1840 when he returned to Australia due to ill health. He lived until 1893 when he was drowned in rising flood waters.
ConvictsConvicts Assigned to Joseph Brooks Weller:
William Barrett - arrived on the Borodino 1828
John Baxter - arrived on the Phoenix in 1828
Thomas Daley - arrived on the Mangles in 1828
John Dorney - arrived on the Borodino in 1828
Hugh Elvin - arrived on the Mangles in 1828
James Gosling - arrived on the Phoenix in 1828
John Griffin - arrived on the Grenada in 1821
Samuel Murphy - arrived on the Mangles in 1828
Patrick Nowlan - arrived on the Borodino 1828