was born in the colony; he had formerly served with the 24th regiment and returned to the colony with his wife on the Lonarch
in 1825. He was an early innkeeper at Patterson's Plains. He was granted a licence under the sign of The Hunter
in June 1830. The Hunter
was ten miles from Yeomans Inn at Maitland and situated on the left bank of the Paterson River. 
The Sydney Herald reported in September 1831:
An excellent punt has been placed on Paterson's River, at the Barracks or Court house, Paterson Plains. It has long been wanted, and will be a great convenience to the settlers on Williams River, crossing the country to Maitland, having formerly been obliged to swim their horses, several of which have been drowned in the attempt. The punt is adapted for receiving carriages and waggons, with their loads. It is worked by a rope, extending from one side to the other. The settlers on both Rivers are indebted to Mr. Stubbs for this convenience
A farm of fifty acres on the Paterson river was advertised for sale in July 1834. It was said to be most delightfully situated two miles below the head of navigation and on the road from Maitland to Williams River. It was bounded on the south by John Tucker's land and on the North by land belonging to Mr. Reynolds. A substantial House containing 7 rooms, licenced and known as the Crown Inn
of Patterson's Plains was situated on the property along with a stable, tobacco shed, tobacco press and a stock yard. Well fenced and divided into paddocks, the soil was suitable for a variety of farm produce. It was the only location that steam vessels could approach in the area although none were trading to the district at that time.
The estate was formerly occupied by Thomas Stubbs and known as 'Binder's Farm
, step son of 'Gentleman' John Smith
of Newcastle, was granted a publican's licence for the Crown Inn in November 1832 and 1833 . In 1832 he was also supplying food for Newcastle Gaol
and prisoners in and out of barracks at Newcastle. In 1835 George Furber took out a publican's licence for the Golden Fleece Inn
at East Maitland. He built the George and Dragon
at East Maitland in 1837.
was granted a publican's licence for the Crown Inn
in June 1834 and 1837.
(1) State Archives NSW; Series: 14401; Item: [4/61-62]; Reel: 5049 licence Year: 1830 Ancestry.com. New South Wales, Australia, Certificates for Publicans' Licences
 Sydney Herald 5 September 1831
 Sydney Herald 23 December 1834
 State Archives NSW; Series: 14401; Item: [4/64]; Reel: 5051 Description licence Year: 1833 Source Information Ancestry.com. New South Wales, Australia