John Callaghan was granted a publican's licence for the Settlers Arms in 1836 - 1839. He held the licence for the Plough Inn
1844 - 1859.
, settler and storekeeper of Maitland in the 1830's was innkeeper at the Settlers Arms in High Street, West Maitland in 1842 prior to the licence being transferred to William Court in February 1843. Charles Robins took over the Paterson Hotel
William Court had previously held the licence for the Governor Gipps at Wollombi and the Black Cock Inn
at Cockfighters Creek.
William Winter took over the Settlers' Arms from William Court in January 1844. He moved to the Cross Keys Inn
and a licence was granted for that Inn in 1846. He later held the licence for the Red Cow Inn
In November 1844 the premises of the Settlers' Arms was advertised for auction: 'All that one acre of land more or less being part of the grant of Mary Hunt, situated at Maitland; bounded on the north east by the government or main road, on the south and west by land formerly of the said Mary Hunt, and on the south east by land of the late Thomas Coulson; to commence from the boundary or side line of the said Thomas Coulson's land, with a frontage to the main road of four rods and thence forty rods in depth; together with the messuage or Inn, known by the name of the Settlers Arms, and other buildings thereon erected. The above premises to be sold subject to a mortgage to Mr. Manning of 300
, President of the Jewish Burial Ground Society, was granted a licence for the Settlers Arms in April 1845 In 1846 he was involved in an altercation with his cook, William Woodwall who, upon being told to go to bed objected, expostulating that he was 'not a common fellow'. In the skirmish that followed, Woodwall bit the finger of Lewis Cohen and Cohen then seized him by the collar and kicked and knocked him down. Woodwall objected to this treatment and took Cohen to Court. The case was dismissed when the Magistrate concluded that Woodwall had been the cause of the fracas.
Cohen's staff troubles persisted. In November 1846 he was compelled to charge Benjamin Small under the Masters and Servants Act after Small failed to fulfill a specified contract to make 31 looking glass frames for 2/- each and in January 1847 a robbery took place at the Inn. Staff were suspected as the entry to bar where the robbery took place was from the interior of the house. A search of the strictest standards was undertaken however nothing more could be found of the money that had been stolen.
Perhaps his staff were also to blame when he was fined later in 1847 for allowing his lamp at the Inn to be extinguished.
In 1847, Lewis Cohen announced that he was 'forced by circumstances to relinquish public housekeeping and turn merchant' and offered clothing and other articles for sale.
He transferred licence for the Settlers Arms to Charles Whittaker
who had previously been refused a licence for the Golden Fleece Inn.
Site of the Inn
According to D.J. Ryan in the Maitland Daily Mercury in 1933, the Settlers' Arms was on the site of the later Maitland Gaslight Company's buildings. The building was also the home of the Northern Times, Newspaper, and of the Ensign. In later years it was used by W.R. Norman as a furniture shop.