was granted a publican's licence for the Sportsmans' Arms situated in High street opposite Bulwer Street West Maitland in July 1834, 1835 and 1836. The premises were in the style of a long cottage. Maitland Daily Mercury 3 May 1933
In 1843 George Yeomans held the licence for the Northumberland Hotel.
Sophia and Richard Power Cummins
Richard Power Cummins held the licence for the Sportsmans' Arms in West Maitland between 1842 and 1845. When he died in 1845 aged 33 leaving his wife Sophia to raise their four children, Sophia took over the running of the Inn. Not an easy task, although perhaps she was aided by faithful servants such as Richard Palmer
. Richard gave evidence for Mrs. Cummins in a court case in 1845 when a customer of the Hotel, Margaret Fowler
was charged with assaulting Sophia.
Margaret who was well known in the town for her intemperate habits and violent behaviour had 'seized Mrs. Cummins by the hair of the head and used violent and threatening language towards her'. Margaret must have been allowed to return to the Sportsmans' Arms again as in March 1846 she was once more accused of assault. This time George Edmonstone who was a waiter at the Inn was the victim. In Court Margaret promised she would give the magistrate no further trouble in the future and would leave Maitland if she was forgiven on this occasion. The Magistrates, considered this a great inducement and dismissed the case. (Margaret apparently did leave Maitland - for Singleton. Eighteen months later she was in trouble for smashing a window at the house of Mrs. Stretch while residing at Delandre's hotel).
Sophia Cummins transferred the licence for the Sportsmans' Arms to Samuel Thompson
in 1847. In April 1848 she married Charles Edward Walthall
who had come from Richmond Virginia, USA and was owner of Walthall's Tobacco Manufactory.
By November 1849, Samuel Thompson was advertising to sell by auction a 'splendid lot of fancy glass boxes and baskets with designs exquisitely painted in oil; fire screens; card racks and ottoman' prior to leaving the colony. Also for sale soon after was his race horse 'Eclipse'.
Samuel Thompson was granted a licence for a 'new' house under the name of the Sportsmans' Arms in May 1849.
The licence was transferred to John Kerrigan
in December of that year.
John Kerrigan had previously held the licence for the Crown and Anchor
at New Freugh.
was granted the licence for the Sportsmans' Arms in April 1854 - 59
Edward Wall held the licence for the Sportsman's Arms 1867 - 1872.